Friday, October 21, 2011

Hustle, Not Hurry

You can keep waiting to discover that one in a million gift, insight, or talent that you possess to change the world ... or you can hustle. Behind nearly every single over the top success story you know lies years of hustle. Jon Acuff makes this point well in Quitter.

I was hustling the other day and it almost got me killed. Waiting to turn left at a red light, I was reviewing some notecards containing ideas key to my success. The light turned green, I put down my cards, the cars in front of me turned, and so did I, only to recognize in the middle of the turn there was no green arrow (protected left turn), just a green light (turn at your own risk).

Fortunately the car rapidly approaching the nose of my truck was more alert than I and slowed to avoid a collision that clearly would have been my fault. What happened?

Upon reflection I remembered the light used to be an arrow, but several weeks back changed to just a green light. But really, the reason I missed the light was this: my hustle had turned into hurry.

I sensed the hurry while reviewing my notecards. I was reading too fast, not reflecting, just getting through the words. I was almost home, not much time left, wanted to get a few extra read. I quit hustling to get ahead and started hurrying to get done.

Your dream is too important to hurry. When you hurry you miss clues and opportunities and people and the voice of God. Hustle requires the discipline of making the most of your time, but it also includes the discipline to go at a pace you can still reflect and listen and talk ... and acknowledge who has the right of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment