Thursday, April 29, 2010

Voices: Coach Thomas

Coach Thomas worked with lineman on my high school football team - the big guys who did all the hard work so us little guys could run around and grab all the glory. I remember his voice on the football field - a big voice that commanded attention. But when I replay that voice in my head, I hear a voice of strong encouragement and deep joy and peaceful humility.


I played for several coaches who modeled faith and hard work and commitment. Coach Thomas was one of those. He called boys to become young men and made sure they knew he was for them. Ever since I've known him (over twenty five years) he's followed Christ.


I heard his voice again several weeks ago. My wife and daughter and I were watching my son run in a track meet, actually just a practice meet for middle school kids. With the sun setting on that wind blown day we were getting just cool enough to think about heading home. Looking down the track I spotted my son talking to Coach Thomas. Found out later Coach Thomas recognized my son by his resemblance to me. Soon Coach Thomas made his way to us. So good to see the warm smile and hear the deep voice once again. Introductions were made with my wife and daughter and words exchanged when this big, hulking football coach stooped over and engaged my eight year old daughter in conversation. He discovered she wanted to be a teacher. With a big smile and that familiar voice of encouragement and joy, he shared how much he enjoyed teaching, acknowledging it didn't pay a lot, but it was so rewarding. How he couldn't imagine a better life.


This coach who had encouraged me in my faith and life, who had generously supported my pursuits, who had affirmed my call, now blessed my daughter and her dreams. Coach Thomas just keeps on giving and encouraging and affirming and he does it with such joy and humility. I can only hope and pray I've captured some of his voice in mine. Thank you, Coach Thomas. Your voice carries on through the generations of young men and women you've blessed. I count you wealthy - rich in all the things that matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment